Il problema dell'alimentazione elettrica per chi usa la bicicletta, sia nell'uso quotidiano che per viaggi di più giorni, sta diventando sempre più impegnativo. Serve sempre più energia elettrica non solo per illuminare la strada nelle buie ore della notte ma anche per alimentare il sempre crescente numero di dispositivi elettronici a cui non sappiamo più rinunciare. Questo sito vuole essere un primo passo per provare ad orientarsi nella non sempre facile scelta degli strumenti necessari per gestire in modo possibilmente autonomo le proprie necessità.

The electric power supply problem for people who like to cycle either in everyday use and along trips of several days, it's becoming increasingly challenging. More and more electricity is indeed required not only to illuminate the road in the dark hours of the night but also to feed the ever growing number of electronic devices that we can't live without. This site aims to be just a first step in the attempt to orientate the user in the not always easy commitment to choose the most appropriate tools.

Thursday, 12 June 2014

The “weak-point” of B&M e-werk

After using a couple of e-werk for the last three years I came-up with the following conclusions:

1 From an electrical point of view nothing to say: well performing, excellent voltage and current regulation, either working as AC/DC and DC/DC converter, good input insulation. Not totally sure about its efficiency level.

2 Input and output leads, i.e. AC input and DC output wires are coloured all over the same (black&white); IMO different colour coding for AC and DC should have been used instead.

3 From a mechanical point of view things appear to be a bit different:
    1. Inlet and outlet connections are too short
    2. Inlet and outlet wires with the respective glands seem to guarantee a good IP protection but mechanical continuous stress on TB welding points finally ends-up with local breakage
    3. Very difficult to open because the two shells seem to be glued together
    4. Once the device has been open, repairing isn’t easy at all and the interrupted wires, due to their very short length, must be replaced with new ones
    5. After repairing and reclosing the two halves of the device, the IP protection might not to be as good as the original one
... but finally, with some minor difficulty, the repairing seemed to be successful:
    1. In the meantime I took the opportunity to change leads colour distinguishing in the between AC and DC wires, positive and negative polarity
    2. I replaced the short connections with new and longer ones
    3. I finally reclosed everything and thoroughly tested the device for voltage regulation and battery charging

The job is complete, my e-werk is working again !!!